To connect your iwantmyname domain to a hosting account, all you need to do on our end is change your domain's nameservers from ours to those of your desired hosting provider. For this example we'll use Site5 Hosting, but you can use any hosting provider you like.
1. Before you do anything on our end, you will need to add your domain name in your hosting account first. This helps ensure the process goes smoothly once the nameserver changes are made at iwantmyname. Your hosting provider's help section or support people can assist if you are not sure how to do this.
2. Some domain registries (particularly for ccTLDs, the two-letter country code domain extensions) have specific requirements for nameserver setup and provide testing tools, which can be helpful. If you try updating the nameservers and it's not working, this made be the case. Feel free to ask us if you're not sure.
3. Login to your account at iwantmyname and select Manage DNS under Setup in the main navigation drop-down menu.
4. On the next screen, click on Update nameservers to the right of the domain you want to update.
5. By default, your nameservers will be set to iwantmyname's. With these settings, you can perform one-click installs for any of the apps in our marketplace and update DNS records in our domains dashboard. With external hosting, you will be moving your DNS management to your new host, so any records additions or updates (e.g. A, CNAME, or MX records) will be done in your hosting account as long as you have external nameservers in place.
6. Remember that if you change your nameservers, you need to remove all of the iwantmyname nameservers. (So if your new host only provides two nameservers, be sure to remove the other two iwantmyname nameservers.)
7. Click the drop-down menu labelled Popular settings and select your host. For this example, we're going to select Site5 Hosting.
If your host is not on the list, select I have my own nameservers... from the list and enter the records provided by your host.
8. Now that your nameservers are changed, click the Update nameservers button to complete the process.
Once this process has been completed, it often takes a few hours for the nameserver changes be processed. If you are unsure of your nameserver changes, or if they have not updated after 48 hours, please send us a message. We're always here to help.