To get started transferring a domain name from GoDaddy to iwantmyname, we have a guide to transfers of gTLD domains (like .COM) that outlines what you need to do before starting a transfer of one of those domains.
1. If you don't have one yet, you will need to set up an iwantmyname account.
2. Next, in your GoDaddy account, you'll need to remove the transfer lock from the domain.
3. Also in your GoDaddy account, you'll need to copy the transfer auth code, also called an authorization code, EPP code, or transfer code. GoDaddy has more instructions for that. (If you initiate the transfer and get an invalid auth code error message, then you will need to get in touch with GoDaddy support to request that they generate a new one for you.)
4. Then you will go to this page on our website, enter your domain name, and following the instructions to initiate the transfer: https://iwantmyname.com/domains/domain-transfer
5. Enter the domain name in the transfer field, then click the Go button.
6. On the next page, if the transfer is viable and all those things we talked about have been done, you'll see the domain name and transfer price. If there's an issue with the transfer, you will see an error message about the problem.
7. If the transfer is viable, you will also enter the transfer auth code and confirm the transfer fee.
The transfer fee covers a year's renewal for your domain name. If it's free, it means that type of domain doesn't include renewal with transfer and it will be normally renewed on its existing renewal date.
8. Click on the Continue button.
9. Next you'll arrive at the checkout process and confirm the transfer billing (whether there's a fee or it's free). Note that you are not billed for the transfer until it completes successfully and is in your iwantmyname account.
10. Click on the Continue to checkout button, or, if you are transferring more domains, click on the link below the button to continue.
11. Once that's done, the transfer will get started. It will automatically complete in 5-7 days, but you can manually approve and complete the transfer right away in your GoDaddy control panel using the linked instructions.
12. Once that's completed you're all set and the domain will be transferred and in your iwantmyname account in a few moments.
13. Once the domain is in your iwantmyname account you will be able to update nameservers, set up DNS records, etc.
14. If you see an error about missing details or are otherwise unable to make updates once the transfer to us has completed, please let us know. Since GDPR regulations were introduced, some transfers don't complete correctly and domains arrive missing some or all of their registrant contact details. We can fix that for you.
15. Note that domains transfer with their previous nameservers in place, so if you are no longer using GoDaddy's hosting, you will need to update those nameservers or your website or email setup will stop working. We're happy to help if needed.